Florida Lawn Seed
Florida Lawn Seed - There are several lawn seed varieties used for a lawn in Florida. The most popular Florida lawn grass types are Bahia, Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Carpetgrass and Seashore Paspalum. All of these lawn grass seed types are considered warm season perennial lawn grass species. Although all of these lawn seed species are adapted to Florida each specie offers a different set of characteristics that may fit your particular lawn.
When selecting a lawn species for Florida please consider the following:
- Do you have irrigation?
- Are you under watering restrictions?
- Is your lawn shady?
- Do you live near the coast?
- Are you prepared to care for a High or Low maintenance lawn?
- Argentine Bahia - Argentine Bahia is the best all around lawn grass in our opinion. The only drawback of Argentine Bahia for Florida lawns is the seed sprout production during the establishment period. Argentine Bahia is a wide bladed Bahia with a much more dense root system than the other bahia varieties. This bahia variety is the only Bahia variety Hancock Seed Company recommends for lawns in Florida.
- Pensacola Bahia - Pensacola is most commonly grown in Florida for pastures, roadsides, erosion control and commercial or industrial applications. Pensacola is not considered a nice lawn grass for Florida.
- Tifton 9 Bahia - Tifton 9 was developed for its cold tolerance and forage production and is not recommended for lawn use.
Bermuda - Bermuda grasses are well adapted to Florida. Bermuda grasses offer drought tolerance, fine leaf texture, durability and are adapted to a wide range of soil types. Bermuda varieties are separated by leaf texture, color and density. These classifications are Common, Medium and Turf quality.
- Common Bermuda - Common Bermuda is the original strain of Bermuda grass. Common bermuda is properly cared for can provide a average lawn. Common is more popular in roadside, erosion and pasture application areas.
- Medium Quality Bermuda - Medium quality Bermuda varieties provide improved leaf texture, darker green color, lower mowing capabilities and better cold tolerance than Common Bermuda. Medium Quality Bermuda varieties are the most popular for lawns. These varieties provide a great lawn if properly maintained. Our most popular Medium Quality Bermuda varieties are Majestic, Blackjack, Triangle, LaPrima, Sahara and Postcard.
- Turf Quality Bermuda - Turf quality Bermuda varieties are most popular in golf courses, high profile landscaping and premium lawns. These varieties offer fine leaf texture, very low growing characteristics, dark green color and dense turf qualities.
Centipede - Centipede is a attractive low maintenance crawling lawn grass. Very popular for Florida Lawns north of Tampa especially north west Florida. Centipede grass seed is used for lawn, small pastures and premium turf applications throughout the southern climates. Centipede grass seed varieties require little to no chemical treatments. Centipede grass seed varieties also perform well in poor soils, full sun or partial shade with little maintenance or fertilization providing a low maintenance environmentally friendly lawn, pasture or turf.
Carpetgrass - Carpetgrass is a creeping, warm-season grass that is native to the West Indies. Carpetgrass was introduced into the United States in the early 1800s and has become naturalized in the southeastern states, especially on poorly drained soils. Carpetgrass physically resembles centipede grass in terms of leaf density and shape. Carpetgrass will tolerate full sun to slightly shady conditions (About same as Centipede grass shade tolerance) Carpetgrass is a creeping warm season grass also called "Louisiana Grass". Carpetgrass grows well on extremely wet acid soils (ph 5-5.5) where many other grasses will not survive. Carpetgrass will require irrigation on dry soils.
Seashore Paspalum - Seashore Paspalum is native to tropical and subtropical regions of North and South America. Seashore paspalum is a warm season grass commonly used for lawns, golf courses, landscaping, parks and recreation areas. Seashore Paspalum seed is the only high salt tolerant grass seed available. Sea Spray is best for areas no farther north than 30−35° latitude. Within its "comfort zone," Seaspray Paspalum displays excellent resistance to dollar spot, in addition to its primary characteristic of salt tolerance. Sea Spray is an excellent choice for environmentally conscious superintendents and home owners, especially those with water quality issues such as a need to use effluent water for irrigation. Certainly in areas where water shortages occur, where saline conditions are unusually high, or where water reclamation projects are undertaken, Sea Spray provides an attractive option for beautiful turf despite these conditions.
Zoysia - Zoysia grass is considered one of the most beautiful lawn and turf grass seed varieties available. Zoysia grass is a warm season grass grown throughout the central and southern climates across the world. Zoysia grass seed varieties are part of the Japonica grass family which are known for less plant density, interseeding ability and cold tolerance. Zoysia is commonly interseeded with fescue lawns for a year round green lawn. Zoysia grass seed varieties are an excellent choice for a home lawn grass. Zoysia grass varieties have a lush dark green color, fine leaf texture and a soft on your feet feel. Zoysia grass seed should be applied at the rate of 1 - 2 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. of lawn or turf area.
New Products For March - Climate Zone
Featured Products - Climate Zone
Hancock's Pensacola Bahia Grass Seed (Coated) - 50 lb. Bag
11th Birthday Sale: 11% off
Riviera Bermuda Grass Seed - 25 lb.
Save: 20% off
Hancock's Centipede Grass Seed - 25 lb. (Coated)
11th Birthday Sale: 11% off
LaPrima Bermuda Grass Seed - 25 lb. bag
Save: 20% off