Planting Bahia Lawn Grass Seed
Planting Bahia Lawn Grass Seed - Bahia grass seed is one of the easiest lawn grass seed varieties to plant or seed. Establishing a lawn from Bahia grass seed will not provide a instant lawn. Planting a Bahia lawn from seed can take as long as six months to fully establish a complete turf. Bahia grass seeds are genetically designed to germinate when the conditions are ideal. For the fastest germination of Bahia grass seed should be planted when the soil temperatures have reached 65 degrees or higher for at least two weeks (night-time temperatures are relative to soil temperatures). Moisture must be present and consistent during this time to ensure the seedlings do not dry out. However there is nothing wrong with planting bahia grass anytime of the year. The seed will germinate when the ideal growing conditions are present.
Step 1: Preparation of the Seed Bed or Seeding Area - Preparing a clean and firm seedbed is critical for a successful seeding experience.
- Remove old vegetation to prepare a clean seed bed.
- Lawns: use a De-Thatcher, Power Rake or Rota Tiller to kill/remove existing vegetation and prepare a clean seed bed.
- Pastures: use disc, Rota Tiller, Power Rake or any means to kill/remove existing vegetation and prepare a clean seedbed.
Step 2: Final seedbed preparations and applying the Bahia grass seed
- Drag area to loosen and level any hard or uneven spots if needed.
- Apply fertilizer at 5 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. for lawns or 250 lbs. per acre for pastures. (optional)
- Apply bahia seed at 5-10 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft for lawns or 50-100 lbs. per acre for pastures.
- Drag, rake or roll to lightly cover the seed not deeper than 1/4 - 1/2 inch.
- Apply lawn irrigation for 30 minutes each evening until soil is damp and germination has occurred.
- Irrigate newly seeded lawns every other day until the grass reaches six inches.
- After the grass reaches six inches in height water three times a week if needed.
- Reapply fertilizer at 5 lbs per 1000 sq. ft. for lawns or 250 lbs. per acre at three months of age.
- Keep the grass mowed at 3-6 inches during the establishment process for lawns or 6-10 inches for pasture.
Bahia Grass Seeding or Planting Rates
Lawns: Apply 5-10 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.
Pastures: Apply 50-100 lbs. per acre.
Overseeding Bahia grass lawns and pastures:
Lawns: Overseed lawn areas at 2-5 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.
Pastures: Overseed pastures at 20-30 lbs. per acre.
Hancock Farm & Seed Company
Hancock Farm and Seed Company is a family owned, state licensed, wholesale distributor of all types of grass seed for residential, commercial and agricultural use. We have been a grower, harvester, processor and distributor of Bahia Grass Seed in the state of Florida for the past thirty years. Our mission is to provide the highest quality bahia grass seed available direct from the farm to the consumer.
|There are no products to list in this category.|
|Phone Orders: 1-800-552-1027
Hours of Operation:
Hancock Farm & Seed Company
18724 Hancock Farm Rd.
Dade City, FL 33523